Dr. Zak Lancaster
Assistant Professor of English
Office: C215 Tribble Hall
Phone: (336) 758-3749
PhD, University of Michigan
MA, Teachers College Columbia University
BA, Emory University
Areas of Interest
Writing in the Disciplines / Writing Across the Curriculum
Academic Discourse Analysis
The Language of Stance and Evaluation
Courses Taught at WFU
ENG 789: Standard English and the Politics of Language Authority
ENG 309/609: Modern English Grammar
ENG 306/606: Interaction in Language: Intro to Written Discourse Studies
WRI 210: Academic Research and Writing
WRI 111: Writing About Writing (“What Makes Writing Good?”)
WRI 111: World Rhetorics in the Age of Globalization
- “Do Academics Really Write This Way? A Corpus Investigation of Moves and Templates in “They Say / I Say.” College Composition and Communication. 67.3. February 2016.
- “Expressing Stance in Undergraduate Writing: Discipline-Specific and General Qualities.” Journal of English for Academic Purposes. 23. September 2016.
- “Using Corpus Results to Guide the Discourse-Based Interview: A Study of One Student’s Awareness of Stance in Academic Writing in Philosophy.” Journal of Writing Research. 8.1. June 2016.
- “Exploring Valued Patterns of Stance in Upper-Level Student Writing in the Disciplines.” Written Communication. 31.1. January 2014.
- “Making Stance Explicit for Second Language Writers in the Disciplines: What Faculty Need to Know about the Language of Stance-taking.” WAC and Second Language Writers: Research towards Linguistically and Culturally Inclusive Programs and Practices. Eds. T.M. Zawacki & M. Cox (Perspectives on Writing. Fort Collins, Colorado, 2014).
- “Tracking Interpersonal Style: The Use of Functional Language Analysis in College Writing Instruction.” The Centrality of Style. Eds. M. Duncan & S. Medzeran-Vanguri (Perspectives on Writing. Fort Collins, Colorado, 2013).
- “Interpersonal Stance in L1 and L2 Students’ Argumentative Writing in Economics: Implications for Faculty Development in WAC/WID Programs.” Across the Disciplines. 8.4. 2011.